Coronary artery disease in India-Magnitude of the problem
- Current burden of CAD in India to be more than 32 million patients
- Estimated mortality from CAD in India at 1.6 million in the year 2000.
- Sizeable burden of CAD in rural (3-5%) and urban (7-10%) populations
- Coronary artery disease has reached an epidemic proportions in South East Asia especially India
Risk Factor Of Cad
- Unhealthy dietary habits,
- sedentary lifestyle,
- atherogenic dyslipidaemia and
- high incidence of smoking and diabetes have been largely contributory.
- Genetic predisposition
- Type A personality
Warning Signs Of Heart Attack
- Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
- Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
- Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
- Other signs may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.